Theta Baptist Church ( Missionary Baptist Church), formerly known as Carter's Creek Baptist Church was organized under the ministrations of Elijah Hanks in about 1845. A frame building was erected on Carter's Creek Pike across from the Ernest Trimble farm.
In the 1850's some dissentions crossed among the members and many of them withdrew. About 1860 the old building was sold and the remaining members, with others in the vicinity of Theta, erected a hewn log building in Theta calling it “Walnut Grove” however the name continued to be reported as Carter’s Creek Baptist Church in the associational minutes. Masten Fitzgerald gave the land site for the church and graveyard.
Later in 1884 the old building was torn down and the present building was erected on a half acre of ground. This property was added to the property already owned and given by Mr. Fitzgerald's sons, Carol Green, and Morgan Fitzgerald.
The Carter's Creek Baptist Church was probably affiliated with the Duck River Missionary Baptist Association organized in 1845 and later with the Judson Baptist Association that was organized in 1849. The church was a charter member of the Ebenezer Baptist Association when it organized in 1893 and also helped to organize the Maury County Baptist Association in 1923 (Southern Baptist Convention), being a charter member of it as well.
It was reported in the minutes of the Ebenezer Baptist Association in 1899 that the name of the Carter’s Creek Baptist Church had been changed to Theta Baptist Church to correspond with the name of the community. The Ebenezer Baptist Association held its annual meeting at Theta on September 6, 7, and 8, 1916. Reverend W.L. King preached during the meeting.
On September 28 and 29, 1927 the Theta Baptist Church was host to the Maury County Baptist Association Annual Meeting with Mr. Tanner as moderator and Reverend J.D. Sullivan delivering the annual sermon.
A Union Sunday School, first reported in 1894, was held at the Theta Baptist Church , with Jim Fitzgerald as superintendent. Other Sunday school superintendents of the church have been John Walters, George Hawkins, Dr. J.P. Moon, J.C. Godwin, Lendo Fitzgerald, George Priest, Pleasant Fitzgerald, Curtis Fitzgerald, Grady Jack, Tommy Parrish, Carl Waggoner, John Davis, and Renis Baker. Early clerks include J.H. Hull, Mrs. Ida Dalton, Mrs. George Hawkins, Mrs. C.K. Dodson, and Mrs. Will Hastins.
A Woman's Missionary Society was organized in 1915 with Mrs. J.G. Anderson serving as the first president followed by Mrs. R.R. Oakley, Mrs. Sallie Priest, Mrs. C.K. Dodson, and others.
The white frame building erected in 1884 still stands with an addition of three Sunday school rooms and much interior remodeling was done in the 1950's.
In 1972, after the Reverend Curtis R. Fitzgerald suddenly passed away, a very good Christian friend had the church building bricked in his honor, and the church placed a cornerstone in his memory. A new communion table, pulpit, and pews were placed in the church through donations given by many in honor of their friends and relatives. A dedication service was held April 30, 1972. Dr. William Delaney of Highland Park Baptist Church preached the sermon.
Two of the early pastors of the Carter's Creek Baptist Church were Elijah Hanks and Reverend Meachum. Roland Hull was pastor sometime after 1855, possibly after the church moved to Theta. Dr. R.K. Dawson was ordained and became pastor in 1877. Other records show that he was pastor from 1891-1895, but as for the intervening years we have no record.
Other ministers and dates are as follows:
1897-1900 S.M. Gupton
1901-1902 J.H. Hull
1903-1906 J.W. Patton
1907-1910 J.E. Hight
1913-1914 J.W. Patton
1916-1919 G.H. Freemen
1924-1926 W.E. Walker
1927-1928 T. Riley Davis
1930-1933 M.I. Crocker
1935-1937 W.W. Miles
1939-1940 Boyd LeCroy
1942-1943 Jesse Hunter
1943-1944 C.O. Binkley
1948-1950 C.E. Robinson
1951-1952 Jerry G. Sadler
1953-1954 J.T. Pierce
1955-1957 Felix Hayes
1958-1959 Frank W. Stone
1961-1962 Malcolm Shouse
1963-1965 Sidney Hill
1967-1968 Frank Britton
1969-1972 Curtis R. Fitzgerald
1972-1976 Argine Hughes
1978-1985 Jimmy Bland
1985-1993 J.O. Martin
1993-1994 George Robison
1994-1995 J.B. Miller
1995-1996 Carlton Flower
1996-1997 Terry Bearden
1997-2002 Tommy Fox
2002-2003 Hugh Dalton
2003-2014 Tommy Fox
2014-2019 Kevin Morse
Hugh Wick, W.W. Stockmen, and Coleman Sparkman have also been pastors, but the dates are not available.
1983 – Additional room was added on in the form of a mobile unit consisting of three classrooms and a large kitchen, which also serves as a classroom.
1997 – The church had a 42' x 85' metal building added to the back of the church for classrooms, a half court gymnasium, and fellowship hall.
July 8, 2001 – The church congregation voted to never vote again and turn the church over to elder rule as is taught in the New Testament. A Transition Team was set up, and out of this group of men the elders were to be chosen, except for the pastor, which can be chosen outside of the church membership.
May 1, 2002 – Hugh Dalton was called from California to be the pastor.
November 12, 2002 – Clay Smith became the music director.
February 9, 2003 – Hugh Dalton resigned. Tommy Fox was asked to return as the interim pastor.
February 16, 2003 – Tommy Fox originally accepted the position for a 90 day trial period. But he remained the pastor for about eight months. The Transition Team then asked Tommy to stay on as the pastor.
November 2, 2003 – Tommy Fox accepted the position of pastor and elder.
November 2, 2003 – Pastor Tommy Fox appointed Rick Martin as an elder.
January 11, 2004 – Randall Ingram began setting up the church's website.
June 25, 2006 – The elders appointed Clay Smith as an elder.
June 25, 2006 – The elders appointed Paul Mefferd, Bobby McKennon, and Don Jackson as deacons.
November 9, 2014 - The church called Kevin Morse as pastor and elder.
April 13, 2019 - Kevin Morse resigned as pastor.
We are grateful for the late Mrs. Clifford Baker who pulled together the early history. She typed what details we have on an old typewriter. Without her efforts, we would not have this information today.